20 Feb 2012

Pisces - Greek Mythology

 Pisces - 18th February to 20th March

Pisces, the fish
Pisces, the fish wikipedia
 According to Greek myth, Pisces represents the fish into which Aphrodite and her son Eros transformed in order to escape the monster Typhon; they are tied together with a cord on their mouth to make sure they don't lose one another.  Alternatively, the twin fish were placed in the heavens in honour of their heroic deed of saving Aphrodite and Eros from Typhon on the River Euphrates.

aphrodite and eros
typhon

 Another myth of Pisces is that it represents the sea monster that Perseus defeated in Ethiopa to save the Princess Andromeda, and that Zeus was so pleased with his son's feat that he placed the monster's skeleton in the sky as a reminder of his heroic deed.
perseus and andromeda


constellation


My star sign is Pisces and my personality characteristics  are as shown here - compassionate, adaptable, accepting, devoted, imaginative (I like to think I am all of these things) but the not-so-good characteristics are - oversensitive, indecisive, self-pitying, lazy and escapist (unfortunately, I am all of these things also).  I like to think of myself as, shall we say, complex.

2 comments:

  1. What a fascinating account of Pisces. Two of my friends are Pisceans and have similarities to the description too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying, and failing, to make two fish out of the constellation photo! My Dad was a Pisces as is my younger granddaughter. I love the image of Aphrodite and Eros.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.