13 Aug 2012

Inspirational Teachers

When I have a huge stack of ironing to do I usually sit down to do it and watch a film to take my mind off the undiminishing pile.  This week I chose 'The History Boys'.  For those of you who haven't seen or heard of it - it is about a group of students trying to pass their final exams to get into Oxford and Cambridge.  Richard Griffiths plays Mr. Hector their 'general studies' teacher who encourages them to learn all sorts of things they they think can't possibly help them get through their exams.  The end of the film is very moving when his 'boys' sing a tribute song of Bye Bye Blackbird.   Mr. Hectors only advice to them is 'Pass it on boys, pass it on'.
It go me thinking about other inspirational teachers in the movies. 

I remember watching 'To Serve Them All My Days' I loved it - I read the book first by R.F. Delderfield - he too was an inspiration - I unfortunately never had a teacher who really inspired me to greater things in a particular subject - although I was always encouraged by my English teachers.
Then there was Jean Brodie - who can forget Maggie Smith with her wonderful performance in 'The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie'.
And what about The Dead Poets Society - all these teachers had a vocation and passed their enthusiasm on to their pupils - their teaching methods were often unorthodox and frowned on by the powers that be - but their pupils loved them.
Finally, the unashamedly sentimental - Goodby Mr. Chips - hankies at the ready.  I particularly liked the t.v. adaptation with Martin Clunes as Mr. Chipping.  There are lots more modern films about teaching 'bad ass' children - but the ones I have listed are my particular favourites.
I know all these teachers are fictional and a bit extreme but to love your subject and your pupils must be very rewarding for everyone concerned.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't seen 'The History Boys' but I enjoyed the other books and films very much. These days, with the constraints of the national curriculum, I think it's a lot more difficult to stand out from the crowd or be inspirational and our young people lose out accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure teaching is a very different job these days from what I remember from my school days. I spent most of my time being scared stiff of very stern teachers who were handy with a ruler on the knuckles.

      Delete
  2. I love all those films/TV dramas and I don't know why as I didn't really like school very much and can't remember having a particularly inspiration teacher. I thought History Boys was wonderful on stage and film and I always remember 'To Serve them All my Days.' I saw 'The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie' at the local cinema too many years ago to mention!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so aggree Elaine,you learn more from that sort of teacher than any other. Some people can motivate and inspire and they do.I get angry with the way teachers get treated these days.My daughter is inspirational in her teaching and lucky enough to be tough enough to deal with all the excessive paperwork that seems to be part of the job now. Her husband also teaches and is hugely popular with his students because he gets on and does stuff with them.The boys were asked to say who would their ideal Dad be if they could choose and he was chuffed when some of them said him. I guess that is a great reward. Lovely films those ,all well worth visiting again and again,love Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My next door neighbour is a teacher at a private school and she puts so much effort into her lessons - the pupils learn so many different things than we did - as I said before if it is a vocation then everyone reaps the benefits. I am sure your daughter and son-in-law love what they do and it shows in their lessons.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.