24 Oct 2012

Tiny Houses

A couple of weeks ago we went to a wedding in Surrey, we had booked into a beautiful manor house hotel for two nights, the rooms were lovely.  I got to thinking wouldn't it be great to live in just one room with everything on hand that you could possibly need.  A bed, two easy chairs, a desk to write at with a chair, bathroom, refridgerator, kettle and wardrobe.  What more could you need?

Of course you would have to get rid of most of your possessions, down to the bare minimum - for the minimalists out there it would be ideal,  but for the collectors and hoarders amongst us it would pose a problem.


Accomodation in Camberley

I remember seeing some footage of a movement that seems to be taking over in little pockets world wide - that of Tiny Houses.  In cities where space is as a premium, living in small spaces has become 'the thing'.

source
Definitely not enough room to swing a cat, and lots of practicalities to sort out - a bit like living in a small caravan.  If I chose to live this way, the hardest decision would be what to get rid of.  Where would I put all my books for instance?  Would there be enough wardrobe space for all my clothes?  Everything would have to be pared down to an absolute minimum.

Will's Teepee
source
Imagine the feeling of freedom, cutting everything back down to basics - getting rid of all the accumulated junk that we all have lying around.  Being able to pick up sticks with everything you own in a couple of large boxes.

epu1.jpg
source
Shortage of land, the population explosion and expensive mortgages - these must all be factors in choosing to live this way.

Here is what Jay Shafer has to say:-
 since 1997 I have been living in a house smaller than some people's closets. I call the first of my little hand built houses Tumbleweed. My decision to inhabit just 89 square feet arose from some concerns I had about the impact a larger house would have on the environment, and because I do not want to maintain a lot of unused or unusable space. My houses have met all of my domestic needs without demanding much in return. The simple, slower lifestyle my homes have afforded is a luxury for which I am continually grateful.

small_house.jpg
source
I'm not sure I could do it, or bear to get rid of a lot of my favourite possessions, I am sure I would get claustrophobia sleeping in a tiny roof space - but it seems to be becoming more popular, especially in America,  and it would certainly be a perfect answer for young people who aren't able to save the huge deposit for a mortgage or paying extortionate rent for something they will never own.
Well - what do you think - could you do it?

6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I could do it either. However hard I try to be tidy it just doesn't seem to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I could live in something quite so small but if needs must it would certainly make me start to think about the things I really needed to hang on to and I bet they wouldn't be the things I would want to keep:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A most enjoyable, and interesting post.
    I'm a bit of a minimalist mainly in respect of possessions and my car, which for a years was an original Mini of one kind or another.
    I have to say that growing up I never had much space but nowadays I do like the elbow room that I now have. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking along these lines myself recently. We have been clearing my father in laws house out after his recent death and it just seemed so crazy that he had all these rooms to fill with junk, that he didnt live in. He only had an average 3 bed semi, but it was far too big for him to clean. When we go camping, part of the joy is living with only the barest of necessities - perhaps thats because I have a lot of clutter at home. Great post. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I'm packing like crazy with a moving deadline fast approaching the idea of simplifying is very attractive. The architect Ross Chapin published 'The Cottage Book"which is full of charming small houses. I would dearly love one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've often wondered about this very point and thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. Our house is a 60's build which five yrs ago was gutted and refurbished. Problem is there are only 2 of us and 1 dog and you'ld think there were 20 people living here :-( We're both hoarders but that's in the process of changing as I am painstakingly going through room by room and ridding of non-essentials. What an amazing feeling it is when a room / house is clutter free. For sure my next house will be a SMALL one :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.