6 Jan 2013

Fifteen minutes on a Foggy January Morning

     I sit on the edge of the bed and look out over the back garden, binoculars at my side and notebook on my lap.  The sky is heavy with fog, nothing can be seen beyond the confines of the garden, the fields and hedgerows are veiled in mist.  The drooping branches of the willow drip, drip, drip on to the grass below.


     A blackbird stands beside an apple I have put out for him - stab, stab with his beak at the juicy flesh.  A dozen goldfinches line up on the bird table waiting to take the sunflower hearts from the recently filled feeder.  A starling flutters in and scares them away, he tries to get a grip on the fat balls, fails, and flies away again.

     Blue tits dart in and out, nibble, nibble, at the peanuts - to and fro, not staying long.  Sparrows hop through the privet and bare stems of the forsythia - quarrelsome.
     Chaffinch hop along the garden path looking for seed I have thrown down, here and there, hop, hop.
     A  black cap lands on the apple and frightens the blackbird away.      The garden is all a-flutter, birds coming and going, cheep-cheep, chirp-chirp.  A flock of long-tailed tits wait their turn in the willow - waiting for the starlings to leave the fat balls - their favourite food.  Six of them land, their tails sticking out in every direction.
     Two crows on the grass accompanied by a magpie filling their beaks with chunks of bread, flying off full-mouthed to the safety of the back field, away from human eyes.
     Greenfinch fly in and goldfinch leave.

     A flurry of activity, the garden is alive with birds, landing on the bird bath for a quick sip before flying back to the seeds.
     All this happening on a foggy Sunday morning just a few feet away beyond the window.   A male black cap flies in, lands on the peanuts, flies off again.  Opportunists all, standing on the bird table, two collared doves taking advantage of the discarded husks.
     Just fifteen minutes I have been sitting here. 

     The chirping stops, all the birds disappear - it is quiet, and the fog hangs heavy - drip, drip, drip.

The bird pictures are not mine - just my uploads.

15 comments:

  1. It's amazing what we can see isn't it, just by looking. Beautifully described, Elaine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching them, sadly I don't have a camera with a long lens, and they were too far away to capture with my little pocket one.

      Delete
  2. Love your description! We were serenaded by a pigeon whilst we were having our cuppa in bed this morning! Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have got this mental picture of a pigeon standing at the end of your bed with a violin tucked under his wing singing O Sole Mio.

      Delete
  3. Simply wonderful! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it was quite special just sitting quietly taking it all in.

      Delete
  4. I can see your writing skills in your posts Elaine lovely prose, my blackbirds always pick the most rotten apple too, all the best David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, the photos may not have be your own, but the words are - and what evocative words they are too! I saw the other day that the RSPB want people to report all sightings of Blackcaps, because they are getting very scarce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip off Mark I'll go over to their website.

      Delete
  6. Lovely post. The Big Garden Bird Watch is coming up - RSPB will give you a £5 voucher for enjoying an hour with the birds in your garden if you register now. Info here : http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/?gclid=CL66qKy-1LQCFYdd3godtnMAeQ

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post! I've enjoyed reading it and I love your descriptive prose. We have goldfinches, coal tits and long tailed tits visting our feeders at the moment as well as the usual sparrows, starlings and blackbirds. The birds seem particularly active at the moment - I bet by the time of the Big Garden Watch they will have moved on:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elaine, I've just found this blog even though I have been a reader of one of your other blogs for quite some time. I am now having fun reading out of your archives. Great posts and we certainly have alot in common.

    I have been wanting an English pen pal for years but have maybe been too careful. If any of your readers are interested I could then leave an address.

    Thanks for all the effort you put into blogging.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.